[openstack-dev] [new][nimble] New project: Nimble

Zhenguo Niu niu.zglinux at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 09:41:28 UTC 2016

hi all,

We are pleased to introduce Nimble, a new OpenStack project which aims to
provide bare metal computing management.
Compared with Nova, it's more bare metal specific and with more advanced
features that VM users don't need, it's not
bounded by Nova's API.

As we know, Ironic API should never be exposed to end users, users have to
talk to Nova to request a bare metal compute
instance even if you're only providing bare metal, even if it's only
internally, you still have to talk to nova, Ironic doesn't have
a concept of users, tenants, and quotas. Nimble wants to decouple
virtualization and baremetal technologies by breaking
baremetal computing management into its own set of application program
interfaces.

Not only does Nimble provide pre-set configuration servers, but it also
wants to support RSD(Rack Scale Design) which makes
it possible to dynamically compose physical resouces.

For more information, including architecture, use cases, etc., are
described on the project wiki [0].
And please feel free to browse our source code [1][2].

If you're intreasted in Nimble, please join!

Thanks,

[0] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nimble
[1] https://github.com/openstack/nimble
[2] https://github.com/openstack/python-nimbleclient