[openstack-dev] [manila][cinder] [api] API and entity naming consistency

Ben Swartzlander ben at swartzlander.org
Wed Nov 16 19:22:15 UTC 2016

On 11/16/2016 11:28 AM, Ravi, Goutham wrote:
> + [api] in the subject to attract API-WG attention.
>

> We already have a guideline in the API-WG around resource names for “_”
> vs “-“ -
> https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/api-wg/guidelines/naming.html#rest-api-resource-names
> . With some exceptions (like share_instances that you mention), I see
> that we have implemented – across other resources.
>
> Body elements however, we prefer underscores, i.e, do not have body
> elements that follow CamelCase or mixedCase.
>

> My personal preference would be to retain “share-” in the resource
> names. As an application developer that has to integrate with block
> storage and shared file systems APIs, I would like the distinction if
> possible; because at the end of the day, the typical workflow for me
> would be:
>
> -          Get the endpoint from the catalog for the specific version of
> the service API I want
>
> -          Append resource to endpoint and make my REST calls.
>

> The distinction in the APIs would ensure my code is readable. It would
> be interesting to see what the API working group prefers around this. We
> have in the past realized that /capabilities could to be uniform across
> services because it is expected to spew a bunch of strings to the user
> (warning: still under contention, see
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/386555/) . However, there is a mountain
> of a difference between the underlying intent of /share-networks and
> neutron’s /networks resources.

So you'd be in favor of renaming cinder's /snapshots URL to
/volume-snapshots and manila's /snapshots URL to /share-snapshots?

I agree the explicitness is appealing, but we have to recognize that the
existing API has tons of implicitness in the names, and changing the
existing API will cause pain no matter how well-intentioned the changes are.