[openstack-dev] [nova] Problem with Quota and servers spawned in groups

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Wed Nov 16 14:55:01 UTC 2016

On 11/15/2016 06:50 PM, melanie witt wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 18:10:40 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
>> I'm in favor of your change, since the existing behaviour doesn't make
>> sense.
>>
>> But at some point I guess consistency trumps correctness, and if a new
>> microversion is necessary to mark the new behaviour then a spec is
>> required, and at that point we might want to fix the other issues with
>> multi-boot at the same time.  (Like
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1458122 )
>
> I think what Sławek is saying is that the quota behavior for multi-create
> already changed at some point in the past, without a spec. He did experiments
> recently that show a multi-create request succeeds as long as the min_count is
> satisfied when there isn't enough quota for max_count. This is different than
> the behavior at the time you opened the bug. So it seems the horse has left the
> barn on this one.

The bug I reported is not related to quota, but rather the ability to schedule
the instances.

The issue in the bug report is that if I ask to boot a min of X and a max of Z
instances, and only Y instances can be scheduled (where X<Y<Z) then the request
will fail and all the instances will be put into an ERROR state.

Arguably what *should* happen is that Y instances get created.  Also I think it
would make more sense if the remaining  Z-Y instances are just never created
rather than being created in an ERROR state.

Chris