[openstack-dev] [kolla] [Infra] Kolla-ansible is available

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Nov 15 18:28:19 UTC 2016

On 2016-11-15 12:20:35 -0600 (-0600), Michał Jastrzębski wrote:
> I think we could use git submodule in kolla-ansible to download kolla.
> That would help us deal with gates in kolla-ansible short term.
> Thoughts?

The Infra team has _strongly_ recommended against employing Git
submodules within repos hosted on our Gerrit instance in the past,
for a number of reasons.

If your primary concern is about making sure you integration test
kolla-ansible with kolla, using zuul-cloner to retrieve
corresponding refs for them in your jobs will provide a much more
complete picture of both. Your proposed submodule would only allow
you to test proposed changes for kolla-ansible against merged
changes in kolla, making it easier to break kolla-ansible when
merging incompatible changes to kolla and also robbing you of the
ability to rely on cross-repo change dependencies between both
repos.
--
Jeremy Stanley