[openstack-dev] [Congress] Magnum_driver

Tim Hinrichs tim at styra.com
Tue Nov 15 16:51:03 UTC 2016

Hi Ruben,

Did a little debugging for you...

1) Run your unit tests
$ tox -epy34 congress.tests.datasources.test_magnum
  File
"/Users/tim/opencode/congress/congress/tests/datasources/test_magnum_driver.py",
line 3, in <module>
    from congress.datasources import magnum_driver
  File
"/Users/tim/opencode/congress/congress/datasources/magnum_driver.py", line
51
    self.magnum = magnum_client.Client(session=session)
    ^
IndentationError: unexpected indent

The IndenetationError says you haven't lined up the code correctly.  Python
is sensitive to whitespace.  I fixed this.

2) Run unit tests again.
$ tox -epy34 congress.tests.datasources.test_magnum
..
  File
"/Users/tim/opencode/congress/congress/datasources/magnum_driver.py", line
1, in <module>
    from magnumclient import client as magnum_client

Here the problem is that the package magnumclient doesn't exist.  You need
to add the python-magnumclient to the file requirements.txt.
I fixed this for you as well.

3) Run unit tests again
$ tox -epy34 congress.tests.datasources.test_magnum

Forgot to capture the output this time, but there was a test failure.  I
went ahead and uncommented the two translators that you wrote
because they seemed to be doing the right thing; that required combining
your two unit tests into 1.

4) Run unit tests again
$ tox -epy34 congress.tests.datasources.test_magnum

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/Users/tim/opencode/congress/congress/tests/datasources/test_magnum_driver.py",
line 97, in test_cluster_template_update_from_datasource
    self.assertEqual(self.driver.state, expected)
  File
"/Users/tim/opencode/congress/.tox/py34/lib/python3.4/site-packages/testtools/testcase.py",
line 411, in assertEqual
    self.assertThat(observed, matcher, message)
  File
"/Users/tim/opencode/congress/.tox/py34/lib/python3.4/site-packages/testtools/testcase.py",
line 498, in assertThat
    raise mismatch_error
testtools.matchers._impl.MismatchError: !=:
reference = {'cluster': {('None', 'k8s-cluster', 'None', 1, 1,
'CREATE_FAILED')},
 'cluster_template': {('None', 'k8s-cluster-template', 'None', 'None')}}
reference = {'cluster': {('f88cb9c7-1e5d-42cb-b0dc-d9c3d0872ddf',
              'k8s-cluster',
              'testkey',
              1,
              1,
              'CREATE_FAILED')},
 'cluster_template': {('3ddeaf4f-af3d-4534-9558-59bf28b1578b',
                       'k8s-cluster-template',
                       'kubernetes',
                       'flannel')}}
actual    = {'cluster': {('None', 'k8s-cluster', 'None', 1, 1,
'CREATE_FAILED')},
 'cluster_template': {('None', 'k8s-cluster-template', 'None', 'None')}}

What's happening here is that the output of the translator does not match
what the test says the output should be.  The problem is that there's a
mismatch between the keys in the data that you've mocked out (e.g.
mock_cluster_template) and the fieldnames in the translator (e.g.
cluster_template_translator).

In the translator below you say the field names are 'id', 'name', 'COE',
and 'Network_driver'.  In the data you mocked out, the closest field names
I can see are 'uuid', 'name', 'coe', and 'network_driver'.  So fieldname
'name' matches the mocked out data, but the other field names do not.
 (Field names are case sensitive.)  So if you change it so the fieldnames
and the mock-data match, your unit test should pass.

    cluster_template_translator = {
        'translation-type': 'HDICT',
        'table-name': CLUSTER_TEMPLATE,
        'selector-type': 'DICT_SELECTOR',
        'field-translators':
          ({'fieldname': 'id', 'translator': value_trans},
           {'fieldname': 'name', 'translator': value_trans},
           {'fieldname': 'COE', 'translator': value_trans},
           {'fieldname': 'Network_driver', 'translator': value_trans})}

5) Of course, just because the unit tests pass doesn't mean the driver is
correct.  The translator fieldnames need to match the actual data that
magnum returns when you ask for the clusters and cluster_templates.  One
option is to read through the python-magnumclient code to see what fields
it returns; the other is to run the commands yourself from the commandline
to see what they return; another is to look at the Congress logs when the
magnum driver is running (with debug=True in /etc/congress/congress.conf).

6) I pushed all my changes as a revision on top of one of your commits.  We
always include the code and the unit tests as one commit.  So now there's 1
commit that you can download to your local machine and continue editing.
Or you can just look at the code in gerrit and make changes to your code
manually.

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/397150/

To download, the safest thing is to create a new branch and apply the
changes on top of that branch.    You can also skip the 'git checkout' step
if you want to apply the changes on top of the ones you already have,
resolve conflicts, and then squash all the commits together.
$ cd /path/to/congress
$ git checkout origin/master -b <pick-a-new-name>
$ git fetch https://git.openstack.org/openstack/congress
refs/changes/50/397150/4 && git cherry-pick FETCH_HEAD

Hope that helps,
Tim