[openstack-dev] [Glance] Community Images Impasse

Ian Cordasco sigmavirus24 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 16:26:48 UTC 2016

Hi all,

One of our priorities for Ocata-1 (whose deadline Glance has set for
17 November 2016) is the Community Images work that has been discussed
now for several cycles and prioritized since the end of Newton.

Like we often do in Glance, we've reached an impasse in the 11th hour.
To summarize, some of us are concerned about migrating the default
image visibility value to "shared" although it's semantically
equivalent to what we already have. At first the concern was that this
was not part of the spec (although, in my opinion it was a natural
conclusion of the spec) so Brian helpfully updated that here:
https://review.openstack.org/396919

Some good points have been made about the confusion this might cause
among users if Glance 14.0.0 is released with the code like this. As
it stands, we have already approved much of this as a community and
committed to its completion. Nothing is set in stone, however, so
getting as much feedback on the updates to the spec as possible will
be very helpful in sorting this out efficiently.

All of that said, Timothy Symanczyk has been leading this effort and
is being moved onto other work by his employer. We need to decide
whether or not to accept Timothy's work and build upon it, or have
someone take over the work from him. Timothy has been incredibly
responsive to review comments on the work itself
(https://review.openstack.org/369110) and I'd appreciate it if we
could respect that effort by being equally responsive in the
discussions on the spec review.

Thank you in advance to everyone who can pitch in,
--
Ian Cordasco