[openstack-dev] [ironic] Removing agent vendor passthru and unsupported drivers

Mathieu Mitchell mmitchell at internap.com
Mon Nov 14 16:42:22 UTC 2016

Hi Pavlo,

See my reply below.

On 2016-11-14 7:50 AM, Pavlo Shchelokovskyy wrote:
> Hi Ironicers,
>
> currently I'm busy with removing the lookup/heartbeats "as vendor passthru"
> from Ironic which we slated for removal in Ocata, and have the following
> question.
>
> Removing the old agent vendor passthru requires changes to some unsupported
> drivers whose copies are already in ironic-staging-drivers. The drivers in
> question are WoL, iBoot and especially AMT (which uses a custom
> not-so-vendor passthru).

The "follows-standard-deprecation" policy states the following
"Features, APIs or configuration options are marked deprecated in the
code. Appropriate warnings will be sent to the end user, operator or
library user. **Code will be frozen and only receive minimal maintenance
(just so that it continues to work as-is).**" [0] (emphasis mine). My
understanding is that your changes would fall into the "just so that it
continues to work as-is" clause.

> AFAIU according to our third-party drivers policy, those unsupported
> drivers have to be removed from Ironic tree anyway (as there is no plan to
> test them on third-party CI AFAIK) and this looks like a perfect time to do
> it.
>
> So ideally I'd like to fix those in ironic-staging-drivers and then remove
> them from Ironic tree via a depends-on patch.
>
> What do you think on such plan?

The drivers were marked for removal in Ocata [1], so you can already
remove them from the tree. A simple but relevant thing I note is that it
would be preferable, from my point of view, to remove them all in a
single commit.

Finally, I would add that functional CI coverage for the SNMP driver is
well under way [2]. We are currently doing the work to keep the SNMP
driver in-tree (what we are doing is similar to VirtualBMC and the IPMI
driver). Going ahead with a single commit to remove all the drivers
would impact our current work. I would therefore suggest doing the
required "vendor passthru" changes to the different drivers and
post-pone the commit to delete all unsupported drivers.

[0]
https://governance.openstack.org/reference/tags/assert_follows-standard-deprecation.html#requirements
[1] http://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/ironic/current-series.html#id5
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+topic:bug/1597793