[openstack-dev] [nova] One instance use local disk,the instance's root_gb is 0 when it's flavor's disk size is 0, I don't think this is appropriate.

han.rong3 at zte.com.cn han.rong3 at zte.com.cn
Fri Nov 11 09:49:22 UTC 2016

I submitted a bug for this question:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1414947

This bug's status is wishlist, But I have a different opinion.

I have a use case:
Users may create some virtual machines for the processing of their
business, these virtual machines use customized images which can meet
their requirement. When users create virtual machines using these
customized images in batches, they don't need to know the size of
instance's root_gb, so they can use flavor with its disk size as 0.
In this case, the value of root_gb's filed in db table of instances is 0
for every virtual machine, but it's real value is not 0. This will lead to
live migrate failure since live-migration's destination compute node's
disk_available_least is always less than 0.
We often enable disk_filter to control compute nodes's disk space, but
when the value of root_gb's filed in db table of instances is 0, this
filter doesn't work.

So, I think the value of root_gb's filed in db table of instances should
be equal to image's virtual size in this use case.