[openstack-dev] [all][ptg] how are cross-project sessions scheduled?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Nov 11 09:46:04 UTC 2016

John Dickinson wrote:
> I've been fielding questions about the upcoming PTG, but one has come
> up that I don't know how to answer.
>
> How will cross-project sessions at the PTG be scheduled?
>
> From looking at the "Event Layout" section on
> https://www.openstack.org/ptg, it seems to imply that each team in the
> left column will likely set their own schedule. So if there's some
> cross-project topic someone wants to bring up, then that person should
> figure out which team it best fits under and petition that team to
> include the topic. Is that correct?

Yes, mostly. If you want to discuss changes in release management, that
would probably fall into the Release management room.

But while the PTG is really team-oriented, we don't want to discourage
true inter-team discussions (like the interesting discussion we had on
scaling review teams in Barcelona) which do not fall under a specific
cross-project team work.

The current thinking is that we could have one room dedicated to such
discussions, with an open schedule (like an etherpad with 30min slots
where you could book two in a row). If you want to schedule a specific
discussion between upstream contributors which does not fall into any
specific team territory (cross-project or not), we'd have that venue to
facilitate that. Attendees could keep an eye on that etherpad and learn
of discussions scheduled there, and arrange their own team discussions
around it.

We want to keep the whole event very dynamic and loosely scheduled,
since the midcycles taught us that is the most efficient way to proceed.

Discussions that have impact beyond development issues, are more
outward-facing and include all of the OpenStack community should be held
at the "Forum" at the Summit instead, which is where all of our
community will be represented.

Hope this helps,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)