[openstack-dev] [release] change in plan for releases repo data model updates

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Nov 10 20:13:33 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Doug Hellmann's message of 2016-11-08 12:28:28 -0500:
> At the summit we said we would move the data that tells us the type
> and release model for each deliverable out of the governance
> repository and into the releases repository where it is easier to
> change over time, but that we needed to think more about what might
> break by making that change. After giving it more consideration, I
> think we have to use the option 2 we discussed instead (allow local
> values to override the global values).
>
> The list-repos command would not be able to filter on the type or
> model values early in a cycle because not enough deliverable files
> would even exist until the first milestone. That limitation would
> make the command essentially useless until close to the end of each
> cycle. Using option 2 means list-repos would continue to work all the
> time.
>
> Using option 2 also means that instead of us having to do extra
> work to build and publish a single unified file for the project
> navigator team, they can continue to use the same input data without
> changes to their project at all.
>
> I propose adding "type" and "model" fields, as we discussed, but
> making them optional. If they are not present, the values can be
> derived from the governance tags for the deliverable. Teams who
> want to change either value can then make the update in the releases
> repository with a separate patch to update the governance repo, and
> not have releases blocked by the governance change.
>
> Thoughts?
> Doug

Based on the mixed feedback, I went ahead and prepared a series of
patches to import the tags into the releases repo [1] and another patch
to remove the data from the governance repo [2].

Doug

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:move-release-tags-out-of-gov
[2] https://review.openstack.org/396360