[openstack-dev] [kolla] How tied is kolla to matching 1:1 releases of openstack?

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Thu Nov 10 16:46:26 UTC 2016

Paul Bourke wrote:
> Hi Joshua,
>
> Thanks for sharing your workflow, interesting to see.
>
> To answer your question, there is a 1:1 relationship between Kolla and
> OpenStack releases. As Kevin outlined, you may get lucky, currently in
> Oracle we deploy OpenStack Mitaka with Kolla Newton and for the most
> part it works fine. But it's not recommended from an upstream point of
> view.

Thanks Paul, good to hear that I'm not the only one asking this :-P

Can u describe more of the 'most part it works fine'?

Anything that you've hit that I don't have to would be nice to know ;)

> Maybe we need more discussion on that as it's something I see popping up
> frequently. We also have a warning in the docs around this, see
> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/kolla/quickstart.html#building-container-images

Yes +1

A matrix of kolla release to what openstack release would be nice,

Especially taking into account the fact that the image building process
will likely work across many releases but the deployment part may not
(which is fine with me, all I want right now is the docker image
building, the deployment we already have existing tooling that we are
working through and adjusting anyway).

PS: this likely won't be a permanent question but is more situational as
godaddy moves from liberty to a newer release (once we get our processes
streamlined we shouldn't be so far behind...).