[openstack-dev] [keystone][nova][cinder][horizon][all] properties / metadata for resources

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Tue Nov 8 23:23:48 UTC 2016

On 04/11/16 08:15 PM, Steve Martinelli wrote:

> We have somewhat had support for this, we have an "extras" column
> defined in our database schema, whatever a user puts in a request that
> doesn't match up with our API, those key-values are dumped into the
> "extras" column. It's not a pleasant user experience, since you can't
> really "unset" the data easily, or grab it, or update it. There's
> actually been patches to keystoneclient for getting around this, but its
> rather hacky and hardcodes a lot of values [2] [3]

we've been storing metadata/attributes/properties in Ceilometer and
Gnocchi. in Ceilometer, we just flattened the json and built keys based
on that which allowed you to index and unset/set things. that said, it
wasn't that great in Ceilometer because allowing it to be completely
free-form just encouraged the practice of dumping useless information in it.

in Gnocchi, we support dynamically addign attributes as well but you
must explicitly tell it to create add the attribute to the resource. i
won't lie, i don't know exactly how the magic works (you'll have to ask
sileht), but it basically creates columns/tables to the db based on the
request.

cheers,
--
gord