[openstack-dev] [all] Embracing new languages in OpenStack

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Nov 8 16:43:18 UTC 2016

On 2016-11-08 06:43:33 -0800 (-0800), Flavio Percoco wrote:
[...]
> I think part of the community-wide concerns that were raised
> originated from the lack of an actual process for this evaluation
> to be done and the lack of up front work, which is something that
> I'm trying to address here.
[...]

Part, yes. But also a big part of it was a concern that we would
divide the community over language preferences: some only
contributing to cross-project efforts for Python-based components,
some only for Golang-based components, and neither camp
communicating with the other. This can quickly devolve into an
adversarial us-vs-them relationship, further hampering any hope for
cooperation. Maybe settling on process and tooling up-front helps
minimize this inherently social problem, but I am unconvinced.

On the other hand, I don't know that indefinitely deferring
introduction of other languages actually solves this either. If
anything, those camps will still most likely exist... just one of
them will be entirely outside the official reaches of our community
and so even more isolated and bitter.
--
Jeremy Stanley