[openstack-dev] [all] Embracing new languages in OpenStack

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Nov 7 20:11:40 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Flavio Percoco's message of 2016-11-07 11:32:06 -0800:
> On 07/11/16 12:16 -0600, Monty Taylor wrote:

> >> Its a great starting point, but there is one issue:
> >>
> >> This is a *huge* amount of work to get into place, for the TC to still
> >> potentially refuse the language. (I know you covered this in your blog
> >> post, but I think there is a level of underestimation there.)
> >
> >Yes, it is absolutely a huge amount of work for sure, and I think your
> >point is important.

> >> ++ - Definitely needed

> >> What do we include here? You called out these:
> >>
> >> keystoneauth / keystone-client
> >> oslo.config
> >> oslo.db
> >> oslo.messaging
> >>
> >> We need to also include
> >>
> >> oslo.log
> >>
> >> Do they *all* need to be implemented? Just some? Do they need feature
> >> parity?
> >
> >To me the most important piece is feature parity on the operator
> >interaction side.
> >
> >Concretely - oslo.config is important because it shapes what the config
> >files look like. The implementation language of a particular service
> >shouldn't change what our config files look like, yeah?
> >
> >Similarly keystoneauth - not because getting a token from keystone with
> >a username and password is necessarily hard- but because we're trying to
> >drive more service-service interactions through the catalog to reduce
> >the number of things an operator needs to configure directly - and also
> >because keystone has auth plugins that need to be supported in the new
> >language too. (it's a common fault in non-python client implementations
> >that non-password auth plugins are not covered at all)
> >
> >oslo.log has similar needs - the logging for an operator needs to be
> >able to be routed to the same places and be in the same format as the
> >existing things.
> >
> >oslo.messaging and oslo.db have needs where they intersect with operator
> >config.
>

> I agree with Monty here. If I were to "prioritize" the work on these libraries,
> I'd say parity on the operator's side of things should be the priority. The rest
> of the libraries could be implemented as they are needed.
>
> I don't think they all need to be implemented but I do think some of them
> should, especially because I believe the process of adding a new language should
> also involve building the ecosystem within the openstack community for that
> language to exist and be consumed.
>
> Wether this should be a hard requirement or not is something that we can talk
> more about. What I would like to avoid is a scenario were the service/team
> requesting the addition of the language doesn't use any of the common tools that
> exist today and we end up adding a new language and dropping all the work on
> compatibility to teams coming after. I believe this is exactly the scenario that
> we're in right now.

Right. It's much more important to me that a system be put in place
to produce and manage the libraries than that they are created in
any particular order. Oslo came after Swift and Nova, but we've
learned that building shared libraries is an important part of our
community's answer to the call for consistency that needs to extend
to new languages from the beginning of their adoption.