[openstack-dev] [kolla] status of repo split

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Sun Nov 6 04:35:39 UTC 2016

Hey folks,

I’ve been on PTO the last week and made zero progress on the repo split.  I notice lots and lots of patches merging, which makes doing the repo split more complex.

I am on the road to CloudNativeCon Nov7th-Nov9th.  After I return on the 10th, I’ll start the process of submitting the changes to make the repositories and add them to the governance repo (Note Michal, both of these activities require your +1 on the reviews since we are adding a new deliverable to the governance repository – I’ll sync up with you on irc when I get the submissions done).

I expect the repo split to be slightly disruptive to patch merging and the gate.  We have finally got the master gate back in an operational state (yay) for all distros binary and source.  The Newton gate of course works just fine.

Once we do the repo split, we will need to do some serious work on the gate to beat it into working order.  I will probably need some help here, as I’m not quite sure how exactly we want to do the job.  Kevin Fox has an example of how to use zuul cloner to clone a repo (so we can clone the kolla repo (containing the kolla containers and build script into the kolla-ansible gate jobs).

I estimate the total wall-clock time to take between 2 and 4 weeks before we are in good working order again once the work begins.  I’m open to ideas about what to do about this (I don’t think blocking is a good idea fwiw).  Perhaps Michal has some ideas.  I think contributors are just going to have to accept some short term “submit changes to two repos” until the repo cleanups occur after the project-config changes occur.  If you decide to jump the gun and do project-config on your own PLEASE USE THE UPSTREAM OPTION when doing the kolla-ansible import from the kolla repo.  If you don’t do this, there is no way to undo it, and we will end up losing all git history which will lock us out from obtaining the stable-follows-policy for 2 cycles (this work my impact that anyway, but losing the git history is a failure imo).  It is best to let me handle it, unless you know exactly what you are doing (and please do sync up with me first).  The work of creating the repos is probably about an hour.  We are dependent on lazy consensus of the TC iirc (7 day waiting period on additions of deliverables to the governance repo).  After that we need to delete stuff for project-config for the gates that are moving around to different deliverables.  Then we need to make sure he gates are in functional working order.  Finally we need to clean up the repositories so they contain the parts that are important for each of them.

I’ll take responsibility for all of the work of the repo split (unless someone else has already laid claim to it) but will need people’s help especially around the gate jobs.  We have a number of people on our core reviewer team that have project-config expertise – would love to have you help out if you are available.
The repo split is going to be a little chaotic for contributors as they may have to submit patches to both repositories until we get each of them cleaned up to represent their desired state.  Hopefully this won’t be a problem as we have been requesting contributors to   I’ll come up with a step by step plan of what to do and when to do it when I return, and then work will begin.  I had planned to do it today, but feeling bit under the weather today and tomorrow I need to clean clothing for my teenagers and pack and stuff ☺

Hope that clears things up a little as several folks have asked on IRC; I expect the repo split will finish sometime before the holidays in the US (end of December).

I have a (IIRC a 3-4 hour flight) to Seattle – I’ll formulate a plan then, and if I can complete the plan on the plane, I’ll send to the mailing list Monday or Tuesday when I can find a few minutes break from CloudNativeCon for vetting.  If I am unable to finish the plan prior to that, I’ll send an update to the mailing list Tuesday with current status.  I won’t be able to make our next team meeting as I’ll be travelling.

Michal would you mind creating a etherpad so folks can brainstorm what exactly they want out of the repo split?  I have created this diagram which I think gives a high level view of the plan:


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/attachments/20161106/9526b9be/attachment.html>

More information about the OpenStack-dev mailing list