[openstack-dev] [tc][kolla] Ansible module with GPLv3

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Nov 4 16:51:25 UTC 2016

On 2016-11-04 11:42:25 -0500 (-0500), Michał Jastrzębski wrote:
[...]
> Kolla is licensed as Apache v2 all across the board today. To
> implement one of highly requested features we would need to develop
> so-called strategy plugin for ansible, and I can't see any reasonable
> way to do it without touching GPL v3 code.
[...]

[I am not a lawyer.] We just discussed this in #openstack-infra as
well. Since Kolla is shelling out to an Ansible executable, it's not
likely to count as being a derivative work of Ansible. Consequently,
the Kolla plug-in imported by Ansible being GPLv3 while shipped in
the same repo as Apache License 2.0 Kolla source code would simply
be aggregation of software under distinct licenses.

That said, it can't hurt to ask this again on
legal-discuss at lists.openstack.org where it's much more on-topic.
--
Jeremy Stanley