[openstack-dev] [ovn] [[l3-agent] connectivity to external network

Murali R muralirdev at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 19:31:19 UTC 2016

The scope of question is using neutron L3 services with OVN. The problem is
when a router created, there is no implicit internal interface created
between the router instance and the external bridge.

The neutron config says "external_network_bridge" and
"gateway_external_network_id" must be set to NULL to use multiple external
networks.

We then have association to define the external network and is populated to
the neutron db accordingly for external network.
Example   neutron net-update providernet --router:external

The association between external bridge and external network when OVN is
present is not clear. Where is that association or how does it get
associated?

Based on this page the steps are
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/networking-ovn/testing.html#provider-networks

ovs-vsctl add-br br-provider

ovs-vsctl set open external-ids:ovn-bridge-mappings=providernet:br-provider

Followed by network create and subnet create.

I am not sure how setting external ids is updated to the L3 agent where the
bridge providing external connection is? Finally, I see no interface
between br-provider and router instance so traffic is not going out. What
am I missing?

Thanks
Murali