[openstack-dev] [FaaS] Function as a service in OpenStack

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Nov 2 16:08:24 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Lingxian Kong's message of 2016-11-02 15:20:45 +1300:
> Hi, all,
>
> Recently when I was talking with some customers of our OpenStack based
> public cloud, some of them are expecting to see a service similar to AWS
> Lambda in OpenStack ecosystem (so such service could be invoked by Heat,
> Mistral, Swift, etc.).
>
> Coincidently, I happened to see an introduction of OpenWhisk project by IBM
> guys in Barcelona Summit. The demo was great and I was much more exsited to
> know it was opensourced, but after checking, I feels a little bit
> frustrated, most of the core part of the code was written in Scala so it
> sets a high bar for me (yeah, I'm using Python) to learn and understand.
>
> So I came here to ask if there are people who are interested in serverless
> area as me or have the same requirements as our customers? Does it deserve
> a new project complies with OpenStack rules and conventions? Is there any
> chance that people could join together for the implementation?

I don't have answers to these questions, but I'd ask:

* Does OpenWhisk have a significant user base?

* Do the goals of OpenWhisk run parallel to the goals of OpenStack?

* Can any OpenStack operator deploy OpenWhisk and immediately begin
  providing serverless to their users?

The more "yes" answers, the more reason there is to simply promote
OpenWhisk as a great choice for our users.

However, if they're all "no", then it would be good to start a new serverless
project. You can probably do it under the OpenStack umbrella, though
IMO, this is one of those things that can just be standalone + keystone
auth.. there's no need for it to be "inside" the cloud.

Personally, I hope all three answers are "yes", and you can find it in
your heart to forgive the use of Scala, for the users' sake.