[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer]: Instance creation and deletion metrics in ceilometer !

Adrian Turjak adriant at catalyst.net.nz
Wed Nov 2 05:39:24 UTC 2016

Been vaguely following this thread and I have a question.

Just to confirm, as I haven't touched ceilometer code in ages, the
instance metric still exists? Or at least something like it?

We're currently using ceilometer as the data collection for our billing,
and the instance metric is our primary way of billing for compute mainly
because it tells us which instances exist at a given point in time. We
further then use the metadata of that metric to get instance state
(building, active, shutdown, terminating, etc) to determine if we should
bill it.

With the changes to ceilometer and the move to gnocchi I know we will
need to rebuild how we handle billing data as we upgrade, but what I'm
worried about is if gnocchi+ceilometer have some equivalent to the
instance metric that will supply us with the same data, or do we now
need to do our own notification monitoring...

Basically what I need is time series data of, this instance was in this
state from this period to that period, and if I query for a range I get
the ranges or changes in that time series. Is something like that
present, or if not would I be able to make something like that in
gnocchi? That way I can then query for a time range and know what state
changes occurred for a given instance.

After my current project I think I may need to dig into gnocchi and
ceilometer again because I'm so far behind where things currently are. :(