[openstack-dev] [glance] NOTICE: Glance Soft Spec freeze R-16 approaching

Nikhil Komawar nik.komawar at gmail.com
Mon May 30 02:17:02 UTC 2016

Hi all,

As stated in my email [1], we will be having the soft spec freeze for
glance-specs on June 17th R-16 [2].

As a part of this freeze we will be evaluating the already proposed
specs for their possibility of getting done in Newton based on the
size/complexity/conflict-of-interest-with-priority/comprehensiveness of
the proposal, author follow-up, the severity of comments, etc. We will
then come up with a list of specs that are likely to make it to Newton
and keep our core reviewers' focus on those. We will then ask other
specs to be proposed against Ocata or later.

This also means that we will not allow new specs to be proposed against
Newton.

This freeze does not apply to lite-specs.

Some of the important factors that will go into this evaluation:

* Core reviewer's bandwidth

* Priorities and focus/interest of those core reviewers involved therein

* Interest shown by the cores on your spec

* Other dependencies involving your proposal -- for example if you are
proposing adding a store driver to glance_store, is there a maintainer
ready to be signed-up, if another spec or lite-spec has overlap or
conflict with your, etc.

* Other important factors raised by cores on the spec or during R-16

I urge all the authors/committers to pay close attention to this
deadline as it will severely affect your plans to propose anything
against Newton if it does not make it in this soft-freeze. If you have
questions or are looking for more help, you are welcome to join us
during one of our glance weekly meetings [3] or reach out to one or more
of the current glance-cores [4].

Please DO NOT ask for reviews on ML or during the meetings, all that
space and time is reserved for project discussions. You are welcome to
use normal media of communication like irc pings, direct emails, etc.
for review requests but not the public channels.

As always, feel free to reach out for any questions or concerns.

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-May/094780.html

[2] http://releases.openstack.org/newton/schedule.html

[3] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/#Glance_Team_Meeting

[4] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-May/094221.html