[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Languages vs. Scope of "OpenStack"

Denis Makogon lildee1991 at gmail.com
Wed May 25 12:25:37 UTC 2016

Hello to All.

This message is not about arguing weather OpenStack needs Go and other
language.

This is a good discussion. So, the main question here is "Go along with
Python for OpenStack" and the problem is to support Go code starting for
necessity of skilled Go developers to infrastructure for CI/CD, etc.

Correct me if i'm wrong, none of the messages above were stating about
support Go-extensions for Python (C extensions were mentioned couple
times). Starting Go v1.5 it is possible to develop extension for Python [1]
(lib that helps to develop extensions [2])
An idea is in:
  - "If think that your project is an exceptional one (swift, designate,
etc.) and you really think that Golang is what you need,
     then why can't you develop your own Go-extensions  and write Python
libs that are utilizing that code
     and then add that new python dependency to your project?"
  - distribute your go-extensions (*.so files) and DEB/RPM for further
consumption in DevStack for example (like we do for multiple components -
Kafka, Cassandra, MySQL, RMQ, etc.)

As i can see such behaviour would allow Python to be main lang for
OpenStack development, we wouldn't have an overhead for building new
infrastructure for Go and would allow projects to use Go for developing
their extensions out of OpenStack Big Tent.

[1] https://blog.filippo.io/building-python-modules-with-go-1-5/
[2] https://github.com/sbinet/go-python

Kind regards,
Denys Makogon