[openstack-dev] [openstack-operators][cinder] max_concurrent_builds in Cinder

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Tue May 24 14:38:36 UTC 2016

On 23/05, Ivan Kolodyazhny wrote:
> Hi developers and operators,
> I would like to get any feedback from you about my idea before I'll start
> work on spec.
>
> In Nova, we've got max_concurrent_builds option [1] to set 'Maximum number
> of instance builds to run concurrently' per each compute. There is no
> equivalent Cinder.

Hi,

First I want to say that I think this is a good idea because I know this
message will get diluted once I start with my mumbling.  ;-)

The first thing we should allow to control is the number of workers per
service, since we currently only allow setting it for the API nodes and
all other nodes will use a default of 1000.  I posted a patch [1] to
allow this and it's been sitting there for the last 3 months.  :'-(

As I see it not all mentioned problems are equal, and the main
distinction is caused by Cinder being not only in the control path but
also in the data path. Resulting in some of the issues being backend
specific limitations, that I believe should be address differently in
the specs.

For operations where Cinder is in the control path we should be
limiting/queuing operations in the cinder core code (for example the
manager) whereas when the limitation only applies to some drivers this
should be addressed by the drivers themselves.  Although the spec should
provide a clear mechanism/pattern to solve it in the drivers as well so
all drivers can use a similar pattern which will provide consistency,
making it easier to review and maintain.

The queuing should preserve the order of arrival of operations, which
file locks from Oslo concurrency and Tooz don't do.

> Why do we need it for Cinder? IMO, it could help us to address following
> issues:
>
>    - Creation of N volumes at the same time increases a lot of resource
>    usage by cinder-volume service. Image caching feature [2] could help us a
>    bit in case when we create volume form image. But we still have to upload N
>    images to the volumes backend at the same time.

This is an example where we are in the data path.

>    - Deletion on N volumes at parallel. Usually, it's not very hard task
>    for Cinder, but if you have to delete 100+ volumes at once, you can fit
>    different issues with DB connections, CPU and memory usages. In case of
>    LVM, it also could use 'dd' command to cleanup volumes.

This is a case where it is a backend limitation and should be handled by
the drivers.

I know some people say that deletion and attaching have problems when a
lot of them are requested to the c-vol nodes and that cinder cannot
handle the workload properly, but in my experience these cases are
always due to suboptimal cinder configuration, like a low number of DB
connections configured in cinder that make operations fight for a DB
connection creating big delays to complete operations.

>    - It will be some kind of load balancing in HA mode: if cinder-volume
>    process is busy with current operations, it will not catch message from
>    RabbitMQ and other cinder-volume service will do it.

I don't understand what you mean with this.  Do you mean that Cinder
service will stop listening to the message queue when it reaches a
certain workload on the "heavy" operations?  Then wouldn't it also stop
processing "light" operations?

>    - From users perspective, it seems that better way is to create/delete N
>    volumes a bit slower than fail after X volumes were created/deleted.

I agree, it's better not to fail.  :-)

Cheers,
Gorka.