[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Languages vs. Scope of "OpenStack"

Geoff O'Callaghan geoffocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue May 24 05:31:28 UTC 2016

> On 24 May 2016, at 3:13 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:

[snip]

> those other needs. Grab a python developer, land some code, and your
> feature is there.

s/python/whateverlanguage/

>> I also never said, ship the source code and say ‘good luck’.   What I did imply  was, due to a relaxing of coding platform requirements we might be able to deliver a function at this performance point that  we may not have been able to do otherwise.   We should always provide support and the code,  but as to what language it’s written it i’m personally not fussed and I have to deal with a variety of languages already so maybe that’s why I don’t see it as a big problem.
>
> This again assumes that one only buys software and does not ever
> participate in its development in an ongoing basis. There's nothing
> wrong with that, but this particular community is highly focused on
> people who do want to participate and think that the ability to
> adapt this cloud they've invested in to their changing business needs is
> more important than any one feature.

No I didn’t say that at all and I don’t believe it’s assumed.    I just said I wasn’t fussed about what language it’s written in and just wanted developers to be able to contribute if they had something to contribute.

>> I understand there will be integration challenges and I agree with cohesiveness being a good thing, but I also believe we must deliver value more than cohesiveness.   The value is what operators want,  the cohesiveness is what the developers may or may not want.
>>

> We agree that delivering value to end users and operators is the #1
> priority. I think we just disagree on the value of an open development
> model and cohesion in the _community_.

It’s not open if you restrict developers based on programming language.    Trust me I get cohesion and it’s value, we’ve reached the stage now where cohesion is being questioned.  The questioning is a good thing and it is a measure of the health of the community.