[openstack-dev] [infra] [tracking] Renames and verification; was Re: ceilometer-specs submodule path is invalid

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri May 20 18:09:18 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-20 09:52:39 +0800 (+0800), Gerard Braad wrote:
[...]
> This process seems very prone to human-error. Let's hope this
> would happen less often in the future with the instructions. Is
> there a way to verify this?

It's a bit messy, but updates to that file have only ever been
infrequent, manual and best-effort. I simply performed a quick
comparison between the projects in the .gitmodules file and the
project list in Gerrit to find any references to nonexistent repos.
It's under the control of the Release Managers, so they can weigh in
on whether there's a necessity to update it through automation vs
sticking with the current manual process.

> It seems jenkins updates the information, but this happens from a
> working copy and not a clean checkout / git submodule update
> --init.

I'm not sure why "it seems jenkins updates the information" as it
definitely doesn't. You can see that file's full commit history at
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/openstack/log/.gitmodules
(such as it is), updated once or twice a year by a total of three
people over the entirety of its lifespan... four once my fix is
approved.
--
Jeremy Stanley