[openstack-dev] [tc] supporting Go

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Fri May 20 16:48:19 UTC 2016

Containers are popular right now for the same reason statically linking is. But it gives you something half way in between. Static linking is really hard to do right. Even go's "static link all the things" is incomplete. if you run ldd on a go binary, it isn't actually static. Containers ensure the stuff inside really is statically linked.

So these days, I'd rather use docker for gaining the static linking like functionality rather then try really hard to get a single ".exe" that has 0 dependencies. Its very hard.

That being said, the distro's have a big point about deps being handled dynamically so that the problem of vulnerability/bug patching is tractable. At the moment, Docker or any statically linking thing doesn't have a good solution to the problem. The importance of this issue can't be understated.

It can be fixed, but there isn't a project I'm aware of yet to commonly solve it.

Building containers using distro packages I think is a part of the solution. You can then much more easily find which containers are out of date/have vulnerabilities. but you still need machinery to scan for updates, rebuild containers, and a way to push them out to all the places that need updating.

Until those things are solved, or you have operators that very very carefully pay attention, traditional distro's have a strong thing going for them in the security realm.

Go's statically linking everything is an anti-feature in my opinion, better left to systems like Docker.

Thanks,
Kevin