[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Languages vs. Scope of "OpenStack"

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri May 20 13:20:28 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 7:48 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
wrote:

> The other approach is product-centric: "lower-level pieces are OpenStack
> dependencies, rather than OpenStack itself". If we are missing a
> lower-level piece to achieve our mission and are developing it as a result,
> it could be developed on OpenStack infrastructure by members of the
> OpenStack community but it is not "OpenStack the product", it's an
> OpenStack *dependency*. It is not governed by the TC, it can use any
> language and tool deemed necessary.

I think we should include the degree of OpenStack-specificness here, as
something that may fit every other of your criteria for 'used by but not
part of OpenStack' is really only useful to OpenStack (Designate's DNS
code, for example, apparently reads the DB) should be part of OpenStack.
IIRC that has been used as one of the criteria for deciding if a new
library should be part of Oslo or stand-alone (independent of in-or-out of
OpenStack governance).

> That is what I mean by 'scope': where does "OpenStack" stop, and where do
> "OpenStack dependencies" start ? It is a lot easier and a lot less
> community-costly to allow additional languages in OpenStack dependencies
> (we already have plenty there).

So down the road when one of these dependencies that is very important to
OpenStack goes more dormant than we would like due to resource allocation
issues because it is not-Big Tent, will we adopt it like we have done with
other dependencies where that made more sense than re-writing around it?

I do hope that should the TC adopt the position of drawing the scope line
tighter around the core, that the tent-cleaning will follow in both
directions, down toward kernel-space and up toward end-user-space.  We are
historically bad at leaving that sort of debt lying and cleaning can make
some strides toward reducing the community cost of maintaining the current
ecosystem.

dt

--

Dean Troyer