[openstack-dev] [cinder] Is a volume always not attachable if it's 'migration_status' is 'migrating'?

liuxinguo liuxinguo at huawei.com
Fri May 20 08:09:53 UTC 2016

Hi cinder team,

When a volume's 'migration_status' is 'migrating', we've no idea whether this volume is able to attach to a server to use:
IF the migration way is host-copy, it is not attachable to use, but if the migration is handling by driver, some driver's implementation can make it attachable to use.

End users will always have no idea whether the volume is attachable to use through cinder list or cinder show command, they just know whether the volume is 'migrating'.

So should we have the assumption that if a volume's 'migration_status' is 'migrating', we should take it as not attachable to use?
Need we add some flags to indicate whether a volume is attachable when it's 'migration_status' is 'migrating'?

I raise this question because I have a little confusion about this when I propose this spec:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/312853/ , anyone interesting about this can take a look at this spec:)

Thanks for any input!
Wilson Liu