[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Reason for installing devstack in CI pipeline

Derek Higgins derekh at redhat.com
Wed May 18 10:23:53 UTC 2016

On 16 May 2016 at 18:16, Paul Belanger <pabelanger at redhat.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Over the last few weeks I've been head deep into understanding the TripleO CI
> pipeline.  For the most part, I am happy that we have merged centos-7 DIB
> support and I'm working to migrate the jobs to it.
>
> Something I have been trying to figure out, is why does the pipeline install
> devstack?  I cannot see anything currently in the toci_gate.sh script that is
> referencing devstack.  Everything seems to be related to launching the external
> node.
>
> So, my question is, what is devstack doing?

Can you elaborate what you mean when you say we're installing
devstack, we currently make use of some of the devstack-gate scripts.
The main need  for this is so it clones the correct version of each
project to /opt/stack/new, the tripleo ci job then looks at
ZUUL_CHANGES[1] to get a list of projects being tested and uses those
git repositories to build rpm packages from them. The rest of the CI
job then uses these rpm's (layered on top of rdo trunk repositorys) so
they end up installed where appropriate.

[1] - http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/tripleo-ci/tree/toci_instack.sh#n103