[openstack-dev] [all] Deprecated options in sample configs?

Ian Cordasco sigmavirus24 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 20:14:50 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Dolph Mathews <dolph.mathews at gmail.com>
Date: May 17, 2016 at 14:02:00
Subject:  Re: [openstack-dev] [all] Deprecated options in sample configs?

> I think the metadata_manager is one of many terrible examples of deprecated
> configuration options. The documentation surrounding a deprecation should
> *always* tell you why something is being deprecated, and what you should be
> using instead to achieve the same, or better, result moving forward. But
> instead, we get "you don't need to see any documentation... these aren't
> the configs you're looking for."
>
> If all our deprecated config options provided useful pointers in their
> descriptions, there would be tremendous value in retaining deprecated
> configuration options in sample config files -- in which case, I don't
> believe we would be having this conversation which questions their value in
> the first place.

I have to agree that better documentation is the way forward, not removing information. I think we're more likely to frustrate operators who see options suddenly disappear as soon as they're marked as deprecated for removal.

I don't disagree that some operators might want a way to exclude options that are deprecated for removal when generating a sample config file, but I don't think that should be the default.
--
Ian Cordasco