[openstack-dev] [oslo][all] oslo.log `verbose` and $your project

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Tue May 17 00:41:59 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I just wanted to ensure folks are aware that the oslo group has removed
the 'verbose' option and the hence-forth the 'debug' option should just
be used (having to options that did very similar things was very
confusing to folks).

This deprecation for this was merged on aug 1, 2015 in review:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/206437/ and the removal of it
officially merged about a week ago in
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/314573/ (therefore about 10 months of
lead time was given).

Sadly I think that we can't yet release oslo_log due to issues like:

*
http://logs.openstack.org/periodic/periodic-ironic-py27-with-oslo-master/c911e32/console.html#_2016-05-16_06_07_54_907
*
http://logs.openstack.org/periodic/periodic-glance-py27-with-oslo-master/c27a28b/console.html#_2016-05-16_06_11_55_647
* more...

So I've proposed a revert of 314573 @
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/317148/ so that the folks involved in
consuming projects can work through further removal of the verbose
option (it seems some projects are in the process of removing it as we
speak).

I'd like to retry 314573 in a few weeks, so cooperation and helping
getting any leftover cases of 'verbose' out of source trees would be
much appreciated.

Does this sound reasonable to folks?

-Josh