[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron] Is it still valid/supported to create a network with a br-<uuid> id?

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Sun May 15 15:56:31 UTC 2016

Matt Riedemann wrote:
> The nova create-server API allows passing a network id that's prefixed with
> br-<uuid> [1]. That was added due to this bug from Folsom [2].
>
> I'm wondering if that's still valid? Looking at the network.id data model in
> Neutron it doesn't look like it would be [3].

Wow. That bug is awful. Network IDs should be UUIDs and ONLY UUIDs.

Just because some vendor plugin decides that their going to break the
Networking API contract and define their own ID scheme,
doesn't mean that we should fix it to help them.

That commit shouldn't have been accepted into Nova, and I don't think
that we should support anything but a UUID for a network id. Period.

--
Sean M. Collins