[openstack-dev] [kolla] [bifrost] bifrost container poc update
Steven Dake (stdake)
stdake at cisco.com
Sat May 14 01:56:46 UTC 2016
From: "Mooney, Sean K" <sean.k.mooney at intel.com<mailto:sean.k.mooney at intel.com>>
Date: Friday, May 13, 2016 at 2:14 PM
To: "OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)" <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>>, Steven Dake <stdake at cisco.com<mailto:stdake at cisco.com>>, "devananda.vdv at gmail.com<mailto:devananda.vdv at gmail.com>" <devananda.vdv at gmail.com<mailto:devananda.vdv at gmail.com>>
Cc: "Mooney, Sean K" <sean.k.mooney at intel.com<mailto:sean.k.mooney at intel.com>>
Subject: [openstack-dev] [kolla] [bifrost] bifrost container poc update
Hi this is an update on where I am with my poc of creating a bifost container for kolla.
As of Wednesday evening I have reached my v0 poc goal
That goal was to demonstrate it was easy bifrost in a container with little to know changes.
This is further broken down as follows.
- Create poc patch to split bifrost ironic install role into install, bootstrap and start phases
- Use kolla build.py to build a container with all bifrost/ironic dependences installed by running
bifrost install phase as part of the docker build
- Spawn an instance of the resulting container then bootstrap and start ironic by running bifrost install playbook with only the bootstrap and run phases enabled
- Enroll a physical node using the enroll-dynamic playbook
- Deploy the default OS image to the physical node using the deploy-dynamic playbook
The attached file assume basic knowledge of how to build images with kola and documents how the command I
Ran to preform this poc.
Limitations of v0:
- Only tested with centos source build
- Fat container. Uses systemd as an init system in the container. (yes this works fine)
- Requires privileged (required for networking and mounting loopback devices)
- Requires net=host (as an infrastructure container on the undercloud this shold be ok)
- Requires /sys/fs/cgroups to be bind mounted for systemd
- Requires /dev to be bind mounted to allow building of Baremetal image
- No integration with kola deploy playbooks or script to automate deployment (fix in v1)
- No support for external config (fix in v1)
- I wrote it in 12-18 hours so no comments or docs except the attachment
- Ironic service done restart automatically on restarting container.( rerun install playbook with skip_boostrap=true and skip_install=true to fix)
Define scope of v1
- Should I open a blueprint/spec/bug in kolla and or bifrost?
- Kolla spec to cover container and ansible integration (https://github.com/SeanMooney/kolla/commit/bbbfc573dcd8e20ad912dedeecc0b3994832925f)
o Support builds of bifrost container both source and binary with all 4 base OS
o Support baremetal image customization via external config. (os,packages) and bring your own model to supply your own image.
o Integrate with kolla deploy playbooks.
o Add bifrost.rst to kolla docs
o Thin containers or supervisord as a v2
- Bifrost spec to cover ironic install decomposition (https://github.com/SeanMooney/bifrost/commit/e223f4fe73871b76ce87999470a1efc43862671e)
o Split install ironic playbook into 3 phases (install,bootstarp,start)
§ possible solutions. Skip_* as in poc, separate roles or tags
o Replace use of sed for fixing hostname as it fails in a container
o Introduce install_dib to control if disk image build is installed of checking if the image should be built.
- Testing: kolla ci job? Test in bifrost ci?
So this is the point I pause for feedback:
Does this sound like a reasonable next step?
Am I going in the wrong direction with this?
If I create spec or when I submit the code for review would anyone in particular like me to add them as reviewers?
Kolla doesn't typically require specs for most work, and I believe this type of work would fall into the non-spec category. A blueprint would do.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the OpenStack-dev