[openstack-dev] [nova] gate testing with lvm imagebackend

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat May 14 01:19:04 UTC 2016

On 5/10/2016 4:51 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> For the libvirt imagebackend refactor that mdbooth is working on, I have
> a POC devstack-gate change which runs with the lvm imagebackend in the
> libvirt driver [1].
>
> The test results are mostly happy except for anything related to migrate
> (including resize to same host) [2][3].
>
> That's because we're not testing with boot from volume [4].
>
> This is a weird capability wrinkle that is not clear from the API,
> you'll only find out that you can't migrate/resize on this host that's
> using lvm when it fails. We can't even disable this in tempest really
> since there isn't a flag for
> 'only-supports-resize-for-volume-backed-instances'. So this job would
> just have to disable any tests that have anything to do with
> resize/migrate, which kind of sucks since that's what we wanted to test
> going into the libvirt imagebackend refactor.
>
> Anyway, I'm dumping this before leaving for the day, maybe others have
> some ideas here.

> [2]
> http://logs.openstack.org/44/314744/3/check/gate-tempest-dsvm-neutron-full/57a083b/logs/testr_results.html.gz
>
> [3]
> http://logs.openstack.org/44/314744/3/check/gate-tempest-dsvm-neutron-full/57a083b/logs/screen-n-cpu.txt.gz?level=TRACE#_2016-05-10_20_36_07_446
>
> [4]
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/00eccf56d01f4945ab46f246ab4fe751375b39be/nova/virt/libvirt/driver.py#L6960

Just to give an update on this. The tempest change to add a
volume-backed resize test is merged. It turns out we had a bug with our
Rbd image backend in libvirt that the test exposed, but that's fixed now.

I've got a change up to add an LVM image backend job to Nova's
experimental queue [1]. It has a dependency on a devstack change to
ignore clearing volumes during the job run and a dependency on a Nova
change for our blacklist regex of tests that won't pass - the
non-volume-backed resize tests.

Once we get this job in we can run it on-demand on the libvirt storage
refactor series, or any other change in the libvirt driver code that
touches the LVM paths.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/316298/

Matt Riedemann