[openstack-dev] [tc] supporting Go

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Sat May 14 01:00:53 UTC 2016

On 05/13/2016 08:21 PM, Dieterly, Deklan wrote:
> If we allow Go, then we should also consider allowing JVM based languages.
Nope.  Don't get me wrong, I've written more than my fair share of Java
in my career, and I like it, and I miss automated refactoring and real
threads.  I have nothing against Java (I know a lot of you do).

Java fills the same niche as Python.  We already have one of those, and
its very nice (according to John Cleese).

So, what I think we are really saying here is "what is our Native
extension story going to be? Is it the traditional native languages, or
is it something new that has learned from them?"

Go is a complement to Python to fill in the native stuff.  The
alternative is C or C++.  Ok Flapper, or Rust.

This is coming from someone  that has done Kernel stuff.  I did C++ in
both the Windows and Linux worlds.  I've written inversion of control
stuff in C++ template metaprogramming.  I am not personally afraid of
writing code in either language. But I don't want to inflict that on
OpenStack.  Its a question of reducing complexity, not increasing it.