[openstack-dev] [tc] supporting Go

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Fri May 13 16:51:20 UTC 2016

On Fri, 13 May 2016 10:14:02 +0200
Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...] If familiarity for Python
> developers is an argument here, mastering Cython or making OpenStack run
> on PyPy must be much easier for a random Python developer out there to
> seriously bump the performance.

Unfortunately, practice showed that PyPy is not an answer. It changes
nothing about the poor and coarse thread scheduling. It focuses on the
entirely different aspect of performance, the one which while unpleasant
was not unsurmountable in Python. Checksumming sure is faster, but then
rememebr that Swift offloads Erasure Coding to C already.

We dragged this Python cart 2 years too far already. Don't for a second
imagine that Hummingbird is some kind project prompted by Go being new
and shiny.

-- Pete