[openstack-dev] [kuryr] Port binding query

Mohammad Banikazemi mb at us.ibm.com
Thu May 12 23:38:03 UTC 2016

Yes, we want to use the same naming conventions when possible.
Submitted a fix here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/315799/

Best,

Mohammad

From:	Antoni Segura Puimedon <toni+openstackml at midokura.com>
            <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
Cc:	Mohammad Banikazemi/Watson/IBM at IBMUS
Date:	05/12/2016 11:51 AM
Subject:	Re: [openstack-dev] [kuryr] Port binding query

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Neil Jerram <neil at tigera.io> wrote:
  I'm trying Kuryr with networking-calico and think I've hit an unhelpful
  inconsistency. A Neutron port has 'id' and 'device_id' fields that are
  usually different. When Nova does VIF binding for a Neutron port, it
  generates the Linux device name from 'tap' + port['id']. But when Kuryr
  does VIF binding for a Neutron port, I think it generates the Linux
  device name from 'tap' + port['device_id'].

  Thoughts? Does that sound right, or have I misread the code and my logs?
  If it's correct, it marginally impacts the ability to use identical agent
  and Neutron driver/plugin code for the two cases (Nova and Kuryr).

I think we are supposed to behave like Nova, binding wise.

@Banix: Can you confirm that it is a bug and not a feature?

>From a quick grepping I see hat nova sets the name to be:

    nova/network/neutronv2/api.py:                devname = "tap" +
current_neutron_port['id']

Whereas in Kuryr we use the first 8 characters of the Docker endpoint id.

  Thanks,
      Neil