[openstack-dev] [magnum] How to document 'labels'

Ton Ngo ton at us.ibm.com
Thu May 12 20:33:08 UTC 2016

I would like to add some context for a bigger picture so we might arrive at
a more general solution.
Typically CLI options are fairly static so the help messages are usually
coded directly in the client.
This provides a good user experience by making the info readily available
to the users.
The case for label is a little different, because label provides a general
mechanism to pass arbitrary key/value pairs.
The meaning for these key/value is interpreted based on a particular option
in a particular COE type, so they are not generally applicable.
For instance,  Kubernetes baymodel that uses flannel as network-driver
supports the label "flannel_backend", with the allowed values of "udp,
vxlan, host-gw".
This particular label would be meaningless in another COE like Mesos.

So to provide this kind of info to the users, we have to address 2 issues:
   How the user can discover the available labels specific to the COE,
   along with the valid values to specify.
   How to maintain the help messages specific to each label since they are
   likely to change frequently.

I think just displaying the info for all labels together would not be too
helpful.
Putting the info in the API would make it available to tools built on
Magnum, but Madhuri has a good point that the info would not be available
when the server is not running.
We need to accommodate new bay drivers that may add new labels.
Validation for the label value is another requirement.

Here is a thought on how to meet these requirements:  we can install a yaml
file in /etc/magnum/labels.yaml that would describe all the supported
labels, something like:

flannel_backend:
   valid_values:
      -udp
      -vxlan
      -host-gw
   default_value:  udp
   COE:
      -kubernetes
      -swarm
   help_message: "This label is used with the flannel network driver to
specify the type of back end to use. The option host-gw gives the best
bandwidth performance."
   doc_url: "http://xxx"

Then the client can read this yaml file and list the labels for a COE, say
Kubernetes.  For help on a specific label, the client would print the help
message along with the url for further info (if available)
The validation code can also load this file for a more general way to
validate the baymodel, avoiding hardcoding in api/attr_validator.py
New bay drivers can just append new labels to this file to have them
handled in the same way as Magnum supported labels.
Optionally, the API server can provide access to this info.
In the source, we can keep this file in etc/magnum/labels.yaml.
Maintaining the help messages would be simpler since we just need to edit
the file.

Thought?

Ton,