[openstack-dev] [cross-project][infra][keystone] Moving towards a Identity v3-only on Devstack - Next Steps

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu May 12 17:42:17 UTC 2016

We just had to revert another v3 "fix" because it wasn't verified to
work correctly in the gate - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/315631/

While I realize project-config patches are harder to test, you can do so
with a bogus devstack-gate change that has the same impact in some cases
(like the case above).

I think the important bit on moving forward is that every patch here
which might be disruptive has some manual verification about it working
posted in review by v3 team members before we approve them.

I also think we need to largely stay non voting on the v3 only job until
we're quite confident that the vast majority of things are flipped over
(for instance there remains an issue in nova <=> ironic communication
with v3 last time I looked). That allows us to fix things faster because
we don't wedge some slice of the projects in a gate failure.

	-Sean

On 05/12/2016 11:08 AM, Raildo Mascena wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Although the Identity v2 API is deprecated as of Mitaka [1], some
> services haven't implemented proper support to v3 yet. For instance,
> we implemented a patch that made DevStack v3 by default that, when
> merged, broke a lot of project gates in a few hours [2]. This
> happened due to specific services incompatibility issues with Keystone
> v3 API, such as hardcoded v2 usage, usage of removed keystoneclient CLI,
> requesting v2 service tokens and the lack of keystoneauth session usage.
>
> To discuss those points, we did a cross-project work
> session in the Newton Summit[3]. One point we are working on at this
> momment is creating gates to ensure the main OpenStack services
> can live without the Keystone v2 API. Those gates setup devstack with
> only Identity v3 enabled and run the Tempest suite on this environment.
>
> We already did that for a few services, like Nova, Cinder, Glance,
> Neutron, Swift. We are doing the same job for other services such
> as Ironic, Magnum, Ceilometer, Heat and Barbican [4].
>
> In addition, we are creating jobs to run functional tests for the
> services on this identity v3-only environment[5]. Also, we have a couple
> of other fronts that we are doing like removing some hardcoded v2 usage
> [6], implementing keystoneauth sessions support in clients and APIs [7].
>
> Our plan is to keep tackling as many items from the cross-project
> session etherpad as we can, so we can achieve more confidence in moving
> to a DevStack working v3-only, making sure everyone is prepared to work
> with Keystone v3 API.
>
> Feedbacks and reviews are very appreciated.

> [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/v3-only-devstack
> [3] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-keystone-v3-devstack
> [4] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/project:openstack-infra/project-config+branch:master+topic:v3-only-integrated
> [5] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:v3-only-functionals-tests-gates