[openstack-dev] [ironic][nova][neutron][qa] Injecting code into grenade resource create phase

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Thu May 12 11:48:24 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 06:48:02AM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 05/11/2016 05:53 PM, Jim Rollenhagen wrote:
> > I've ran into a bit of a wedge working on ironic grenade tests.
> >
> > In a normal dsvm run, the ironic setup taps the control plane into the
> > tenant network (as that's how it's currently intended to be deployed).
> > That code is here[0].
> >
> > However, in a grenade run, during the resource create phase, a new
> > network is created. This happens in the neutron bits[1], and is used to
> > boot a server in the nova bits[2].
> >
> > Since the control plane can't communicate with the machine on that
> > network, our ramdisk doesn't reach back to ironic after booting up, and
> > provisioning fails[3][4].
> >
> > Curious if any grenade experts have thoughts on how we might be able to
> > set up that tap in between the neutron and nova resource creation.
> >
> > One alternative I've considered is a method to have nova resource
> > creation not boot an instance, and replicate that functionality in the
> > ironic plugin, after we tap into that network.
> >
> > I'm sure there's other alternatives here that I haven't thought of;
> > suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance. :)
> >
> > // jim
> >
> > [0] https://github.com/openstack/ironic/blob/95ff5badbdea0898d7877e651893916008561760/devstack/lib/ironic#L653
> > [1] https://github.com/openstack-dev/grenade/blob/fce63f40d21abea926d343e9cddd620e3f03684a/projects/50_neutron/resources.sh#L34
> > [2] https://github.com/openstack-dev/grenade/blob/fce63f40d21abea926d343e9cddd620e3f03684a/projects/60_nova/resources.sh#L79
> > [3] http://logs.openstack.org/65/311865/3/experimental/gate-grenade-dsvm-ironic/e635dec/logs/grenade.sh.txt.gz#_2016-05-10_18_10_03_648
> > [4] http://logs.openstack.org/65/311865/3/experimental/gate-grenade-dsvm-ironic/e635dec/logs/old/screen-ir-cond.txt.gz?level=WARNING
>
> Let me make sure I understand the crux of the issue: services may need
> to create additional custom networking in order for the rest of the
> resource flow to work correctly. Ironic definitely needs this because
> it's building up an interesting simulated network here for it's guests
> to live on.
>
> That feels like we need a new pre_create (or early_create) phase that
> ironic could hook into to do that same network create. I think the only
> question in my mind is whether neutrons network create here should move
> to early_create as well.

This would work well, if we moved neutron's net-create to here,
because...

> Does ironic's ovs setup need to happen after the neutron create phase
> here, or does it just need to happen before nova?

Yes, the network needs to already exist when we do this.

> Does ironic need to overwrite the $net_id that gets passed to Nova later?

Nope, it's the same ID. We just get the OVS tap device for that network
and muck with it a bit. Then we set the shared property of the network:

    neutron net-update $ironic_net_id --shared true

FWIW, to get the tap device, we do need to create a port on the network
(which we later delete), but I don't think that has any effect on what
you describe above.

// jim