[openstack-dev] [tc] supporting Go

Eric Larson eric.larson at rackspace.com
Wed May 11 19:57:47 UTC 2016

Jim Rollenhagen writes:

>> > Unless you pin the versions of your dependencies.
>>
>> Pinning versions doesn't change the fact that you'll have to
>> trust a large amount of providers, with some of the files
>> stored in a single location on the Internet. Yes, you can add a
>> cache, etc. but these are band-aids...
>
> Well, if we're talking about python, it all comes from PyPI. For
> Go, the recommendation is for everything to come from Github,
> but you can choose other sources if you desire.

To clarify, Go best practices are to checkout the repo into a
vendor directory that must be updated explicitly. While not
everyone commits the vendored deps, I'd argue it is a reasonable
practice, which means that at build time within a CI system, there
should be *NO* dependencies resolved. Tools such as glide
(https://github.com/Masterminds/glide) also create a `glide.lock`
that provides the dependencies from the latest build, that can be
checked into source control.

--

Eric Larson         | eric.larson at rackspace.com Software Developer
| Cloud DNS | OpenStack Designate Rackspace Hosting   | Austin,
Texas