[openstack-dev] [tc] supporting Go

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed May 11 19:45:55 UTC 2016

On 12 May 2016 at 07:36, Ben Meyer <ben.meyer at rackspace.com> wrote:
> On 05/11/2016 03:23 PM, Samuel Merritt wrote:

> Have you tried putting the file into non-blocking mode?
> From the above description is doesn't sound like you have.

The limitation here is a kernel limitation. Squid has workarounds for
exactly the same thing - and it has drivers for AIO too, and *they*
still need to deal with blocking file descriptors for actual physical
IO.

Sadly, 'everything is a file' breaks down when they don't all behave
consistently.

The pattern of having a worker thread for physical IO is a good
pattern (on Linux), at least last I heard the underlying problems have
not been solved.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hpe.com>