[openstack-dev] Wiki

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed May 11 17:51:41 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-11 10:04:26 -0400 (-0400), Sean Dague wrote:
[...]
> Before deciding that it's unsurmountable, maybe giving delete
> permissions to a larger set of contributors might be a good idea.
[...]

I have no objection to granting delete (on non-locked articles) to
all users immediately if someone works out the necessary
configuration change to put that into effect. I expect it was
restricted by default to encourage people to instead annotate
articles as deprecated or use the "move" feature to redirect them to
more relevant ones. That said, I think we're at the point where we
should start considering such important content as candidates to
move elsewhere outside the wiki (especially any currently remaining
locked articles).

> I do realize running a public wiki is a PITA, especially at the
> target level of openstack.org.
[...]

The thing which would most significantly reduce its attractiveness
to spammers would be to stop having major search engines index the
content on it. Somewhere they can publish content and have it
immediately show up in search engine results is really _all_ they
care about. Maybe a compromise is to say that the wiki is an okay
place to publish things you don't need people to find through
external search engines? Then we could quite easily open account
creation back up with minimal risk and much lower moderator demand.
--
Jeremy Stanley