[openstack-dev] Wiki

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Wed May 11 13:11:35 UTC 2016

>>> Yeah, I'm kinda surprised anyone would consider a wiki-less world. I'm
>>> definitely bummed at the thought of losing it.

>>> Sure, I think we all feel the pain of the stale information on the wiki.
>>> What if we were to do what we do for bug or review purges and make a
>>> list of pages, in reverse order of how recently they've been updated?
>>> Then we can have a few sprints to tag obviously outdated things to
>>> purge, and perhaps some things that just need some freshening.
>>>
>>> There are a lot of nova-related things on the wiki that are the
>>> prehistory equivalent of specs, most of which are very misleading to
>>> people about the current state of things. I would think we could purge a
>>> ton of stuff like that pretty quickly. I'll volunteer to review such a
>>> list from the nova perspective.

>>> I'm somewhat surprised that this is an issue, because I thought that the
>>> wiki requires an ubuntu login. Are spammers really getting ubuntu logins
>>> so they can come over and deface our wiki?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> Rather than blocking all new accounts, can we simply restrict new wiki accounts
> to people who've signed the CLA ? That would at least allow all people who
> have taken the decision to become project contributors to continue to get
> access to the wiki. We surely won't have large numbers of spammers signing
> the CLA ??

Well it certainly would limit new wiki accounts, that is true.
Implementing the check would require the SSO bit to talk to the
foundation database bit. Having gerrit talking to the foundation
database bit is fraught with difficulty as it is, we have folks popping
into the infra channel everyday unable to submit changes to gerrit due
to not having the correct foundation membership or not having their
emails match on both systems. This connection is best described as
brittle. Adding in more dependence on it would simply put more burden on
infra to support folks wanting to use it (that is if is even possible to
create the check).

In addition, doing so sends entirely the wrong message. A separate
effort has been for some time to move us to an openid implementation
that takes us away from using UbuntuOne for many reasons, not the least
of which is the ability to drop the CLA requirement. The CLA requirement
has agreed to be dropped by both the TC and the Board, now we are
working hard to get the technology in place to make this a reality,
checking wiki account creation to CLA existance takes us in the wrong
direction.

Thanks Dan,
Anita.