[openstack-dev] [nova] gate testing with lvm imagebackend

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Tue May 10 22:14:07 UTC 2016

On 05/10/2016 03:51 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> For the libvirt imagebackend refactor that mdbooth is working on, I have a POC
> devstack-gate change which runs with the lvm imagebackend in the libvirt driver
> [1].
>
> The test results are mostly happy except for anything related to migrate
> (including resize to same host) [2][3].
>
> That's because we're not testing with boot from volume [4].
>
> This is a weird capability wrinkle that is not clear from the API, you'll only
> find out that you can't migrate/resize on this host that's using lvm when it
> fails. We can't even disable this in tempest really since there isn't a flag for
> 'only-supports-resize-for-volume-backed-instances'. So this job would just have
> to disable any tests that have anything to do with resize/migrate, which kind of
> sucks since that's what we wanted to test going into the libvirt imagebackend
> refactor.

For what it's worth, we've got internal patches to enable cold migration and
resize for LVM-backed instances.  We've also got a proof of concept to enable
thin-provisioned LVM to get rid of the huge wipe-volume-on-deletion cost.

Pretty sure we'd be happy to contribute these if there is interest.  Last time I
brought up some of these there didn't seem to be much.

Chris