[openstack-dev] [tc] supporting Go

Matthias Runge mrunge at redhat.com
Tue May 10 07:52:26 UTC 2016

On 10/05/16 08:57, Angus Lees wrote:
> No, it doesn't.  Several applications written in go are already packaged
> for Debian (for example).
>
> Indeed the equivalent of "installing from master/pip" (ie: not using
> distro packages) is _much_ easier in go, since there is no need for the
> equivalent of venvs.  Like all compiled languages, there is a separate
> compile step required.
>
>  - Gus

For fedora, there is gofed, which produces nice spec files for golang
packages. Fedora already contains a few golang packages.

As a packager looking at go packages, I noticed

1. most golang "packages" don't even have a release, they only consist
of a series of commits
2. golang programs often fetch various sources from all over the net at
build time; they are compiled into static linked binaries, with all
known consequences
3. both 1. and 2. make issue tracking or tracking for vulnerabilities
quite hard, or even impossible.
4. I also noticed, upstreams change quite quickly, some changed
location, some just a name, not to speak about api changes. That might
be due to the age of observed projects. But the nature of go makes is
quite easy to import directly from the net.

--
Matthias Runge <mrunge at redhat.com>

Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham,
                    Michael O'Neill