[openstack-dev] Ansible inventory - Would you need another inventory system for your openstack cloud and how would you like it to be?

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon May 9 15:42:01 UTC 2016

On 05/09/2016 09:27 AM, Jean-Philippe Evrard wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am using ansible for some time now, and I think the current default
> Ansible inventory system is lacking a few features, at least when
> working on an OpenStack cloud - whether it's for its deployment, its
> support or its usage.
> I'm thinking of developing a new inventory, based on (openstack-)ansible
> experience.

Before we talk about making a new OpenStack Inventory for ansible, let's
work on fixing the existing one. We just replaced the nova.py dynamic
inventory plugin in the last year with the new openstack.py system.

Gathering requirements and then making improvements to the current one
is a GREAT idea. I'd love to hear the issues you're having with the
current one.

> I started an etherpad [1], listing what I personnally expect from a
> proper ansible inventory system for OpenStack. Therefore, if you worked
> on ansible/inventory systems before, I'd be happy to have a return of
> your experience. So if you think about features you like/dislike in the
> way ansible fits your workflow for OpenStack, please write it down on
> the etherpad! (or vote for the things you really like).

 From reading through the contents of the etherpad, it looks like you
maybe haven't used openstack.py yet - or if you have the docs are not
good enough to show you that it does most of what you're wanting. I'd be
happy to connect on that. I've also added a few quick notes about things
that are already there that you might not have been aware of.