[openstack-dev] [OVN] [networking-ovn] [networking-sfc] SFC and OVN

John McDowall jmcdowall at paloaltonetworks.com
Mon May 9 00:25:30 UTC 2016

Ryan,

Thanks for taking a look at these  - really appreciate it. I will work on the rebasing this week and get everything current. At the same time I can get rid of some excess code as I went through a few iterations to get to this point. There are still a lot of unaddressed edge conditions and details that need to be thought through and addressed – but once we reach consensus on the approach we can start to address them.

Thinking though the various repos in reverse order.

OVS
===

I would like to change the code to follow the model that Russell Bryant did in his patches see:  https://github.com/russellb/ovs/commits/chaining

They have several advantages:

  1.  Creates a new table for chaining which should help isolate the code and make chaining more “atomic”
  2.  He follows the port-pair/port-chain model of SFC so integration should be cleaner
  3.  Following the port-pair/port-chain model makes extending the solution to handle a chain of VNFs fairly easy.

If everyone is good with this I can work this into the patches and rebase.

Networking-OVN

There is some old code here in plugin.py that I think comes out. When I added OVN as a SFC Driver there was a lot of code that I added to  networking-ovn that became obsolete. The IDL code would be modified to follow the port-pair/port-chain. model.  The biggest question I have from your comments is the interface between the networking-sfc and networking-ovn. I think I agree with you that networking-ovn should expose an interface that is called by networking-sfc and that would remove the need to subclass OVNPlugin in the networking-sfc OVN driver. Is that what you were intending?

Networking-SFC

If we follow Russell’s model in OVN/OVS then there very close alignment with the SFC model and the code will become simpler. Also removing the OVNPlugin dependency will also clean things up.

Regards

John