[openstack-dev] [kolla] Gate precheck job failed due to minimum kernel version on ubuntu 14.04

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Sun May 8 14:55:58 UTC 2016

On 05/08/2016 03:45 AM, Steve Kowalik wrote:
> On 08/05/16 08:11, lương hữu tuấn wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> @Robert: I was successful to update the kernel without change the image.
>
> But that was Robert's point entirely. Installing the kernel will work
> fine, but it does not get you running that kernel -- also like Robert
> said, you need to change the image to run a different kernel than what
> it has installed.

We will be changing our images this cycle to Xenial from Trusty. I do
not believe we have any intention of installing backported wily kernels
in our trusty images, as what we want to test on them is Trusty.

However, the Xenial transition should be happening soon enough - so
things that need a newer kernel this release can happily just require
Xenial images for testing.

I think the question of why/how kolla grew a dependency on a newer
kernel than what trusty has is worth checking. As of right now, trusty
kernels are the newest thing supported in the gate.