[openstack-dev] [nova] Austin summit priorities session recap

Nikhil Komawar nik.komawar at gmail.com
Fri May 6 18:37:05 UTC 2016

Thanks for sending this out Matt. I added a inline comment here.

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 8:34 PM, Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

> There are still a few design summit sessions from the summit that I'll
> recap but I wanted to get the priorities session recap out as early as
> possible. We held that session in the last slot on Thursday. The full
> etherpad is here [1].
>
> The first part of the session was mostly going over schedule milestones.
>
> We already started Newton with a freeze on spec approvals for new things
> since we already have a sizable backlog [2]. Now that we're past the summit
> we can approve specs for new things again.
>
> The full Newton release schedule for Nova is in this wiki [3].
>
> These are the major dates from here on out:
>
> * June 2: newton-1, non-priority spec approval freeze
> * June 30: non-priority feature freeze
> * July 15: newton-2
> * July 19-21: Nova Midcycle
> * Aug 4: priority spec approval freeze
> * Sept 2: newton-3, final python-novaclient release, FeatureFreeze, Soft
> StringFreeze
> * Sept 16: RC1 and Hard StringFreeze
> * Oct 7, 2016: Newton Release
>
> The important thing for most people right now is we have exactly four
> weeks until the non-priority spec approval freeze. We then have about one
> month after that to land all non-priority blueprints.
>
> Keep in mind that we've already got 52 approved blueprints and most of
> those were re-approved from Mitaka, so have been approved for several weeks
> already.
>
> The non-priority blueprint cycle is intentionally restricted in Newton
> because of all of the backlog work we've had spilling over into this
> release. We really need to focus on getting as much of that done as
> possible before taking on more new work.
>
> For the rest of the priorities session we talked about what our actual
> review priorities are for Newton. The list with details and owners is
> already available here [4].
>
> In no particular order, these are the review priorities:
>
> * Cells v2
> * Scheduler
> * API Improvements
> * os-vif integration
> * libvirt storage pools (for live migration)
> * Get Me a Network
> * Glance v2 Integration

I saw the priorities review ( https://review.openstack.org/#/c/312217/ )
has been merged so wanted to point that out here. I know Nova team cares
about history section of the specs so the dates are more clear from the
links posted on the comment. To be more explicit: Glance v2 work (BP+code)
was initially proposed in Icehouse, the co-located mid-cycle was in Kilo
where we had a brief session on Glance v2 work (& thanks to all the Nova
members who have been giving their input). Also, the reason for my
comments/questions in the etherpad.