[openstack-dev] [release][requirements][packaging][summit] input needed on summit discussion about global requirements

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu May 5 18:35:46 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Doug Hellmann's message of 2016-04-17 11:13:15 -0400:
> I am organizing a summit session for the cross-project track to
> (re)consider how we manage our list of global dependencies [1].
> Some of the changes I propose would have a big impact, and so I
> want to ensure everyone doing packaging work for distros is available
> for the discussion. Please review the etherpad [2] and pass the
> information along to colleagues who might be interested.
>
> Doug
>
> [1] https://www.openstack.org/summit/austin-2016/summit-schedule/events/9473
> [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-global-requirements

This has been a lively thread, and the summit session was similarly
animated. I'm glad to see so much interest in managing our dependencies!

As we discussed at the summit, my primary objective with dependency
management this cycle is actually to spin it out into its own team, like
we did with stable management over the last year. We discussed several
things that team might undertake, including reviewing all of our
existing dependencies to ensure they are all still actually needed;
reviewing any overlap between dependencies to try to remove items from
the list; and implementing some of the other changes we discussed such
as allowing overlapping ranges between the global and per-project lists.

We had no volunteers to serve as PTL of that new team, but we did have
several volunteers offer to help with reviewing requirements changes and
implementation of some of the changes mentioned above. Thanks you! Please
continue with the reviews, and we will take another look at establishing
a separate team somewhere around the middle of the cycle.

Doug